Wednesday, February 21, 2007

So, I said on Monday that I'd wait another week or two to try running, if my sanity held out. It didn't. Monday evening I tried running on the treadmill at work. (Yeah, I know, I didn't even make it an entire day before I caved; I'm a paragon of restraint.) It felt great, my foot didn't hurt at all. And since then, the tension headaches I was getting almost every day at work haven't come back. Maybe that was part of the problem, I wasn't getting the stress relief I needed. I've been exercising on the stationary bike and elliptical trainer, but that's just not the same as running. They don't give me the peace of mind that running does. Yesterday I did the bike, not wanting to push things too hard too quickly, but tonight I ran again. My endurance doesn't seem to have suffered *too* much, so hopefully in a week or two, I'll be able to start my half-marathon training program.

I'd like to do the Bayshore half-marathon in Traverse City, Memorial Day weekend. One possible obstacle I can foresee is that it's on a Saturday morning. If I can't get Friday off from work to drive up north, I'll have to leave after work at 9 pm, which would have me getting to my parents' place after 1 am. The race starts at 7 am, and my parents live about 45 minutes from Traverse City. In short, I'd get very little sleep. So, my back-up plan is the Dexter-Ann Arbor Run half-marathon, the following weekend. Hopefully, all will go well, and there will be no setbacks or obstacles; I'd really love to run along Grand Traverse Bay for my first half-marathon!

Labels: