Friday, April 28, 2006

Belated Midrealm Coronation post

This past Saturday Fritz and I went to Midrealm Coronation, and had a pretty great time.

There was fencing (yay, fencing!), but unfortunately I was too damn tired after not getting enough sleep the previous two nights to enjoy it much. I was quickly eliminated from the double-elimination tournament, and too exhausted to bother with the bear pit. But, I did earn my secondary authorization for sword and dagger (before the tournament), and got some good advice from a warder (during the tournament; she beat me then gave me advice, how cool is that?). So, fencing wasn't a complete bust. (And luckily my fatigue completely subsided by the time feast rolled around; more on that later.)

The event had a Turkish theme, as the new Queen has a Turkish persona, so the feast was Turkish themed as well. The entire menu can be found here, but the highlights included stuffed grape leaves, homemade cheese with flat bread, Turkish coffee, and many, many desserts (including a baklava-like dessert made with what tasted like almond paste, and marzipan fruit trees). Unfortunately, some poor souls got up and left before the final dessert, a homemade cherry sherbert served over shaved ice. Oh well, more for the rest of us!

Fittingly, Mistress Hauviette, the feastocrat, was made a Court Baronness by the King and Queen during the feast, in recognition of her accomplishments in period cooking. And before the feast, during court, Shawn, who was also involved in the feast (she made the cheese, among other things), was awarded an Evergreen. Unfortunately, we only stayed at court long enough to snap a few pics, before going outside to enjoy the weather. So, I missed seeing her receive the award.:-( Congratulations Shawn, you deserve it!

In keeping with the Turkish theme, during feast we were entertained by Middle Eastern dancers. They were all very good, but my absolute favorite performance was Baronness Hauviette's sword dance. I'd seen her perform this dance at least twice before, but it never ceases to amaze me! Fritz took some pictures of her dance which, along with a couple of court photos, can be found here. (I took many photos of the event as well; as soon as I get a chance, I'll post them.) An amazing cook, AND an amazing dancer, talk about a woman of many talents!

Overall, this was one of the best events I've been to. Congratulations again to Shawn and Baronness Hauviette for their respective honors!