Thursday, June 01, 2006

Three Days, Three Parks

This past Memorial Weekend was very, very nice! For the first time in quite a while, the weather was actually nice for the unofficial start of summer. Saturday, Fritz and I went to the farmer's market in the morning, where I picked up flowers for my flower bed and hanging pots, and mint for making mint tea this summer. Early in the afternoon, we headed to Kensington Metropark to have a picnic and go rollerblading. We ate a light lunch, then rollerbladed the 8-mile hike/bike trail which winds around the lake. It was my first time on rollerblades this summer, and I felt those eight miles for the rest of the weekend! It was a LOT of fun though, and Kensington is a beautiful park. After rollerblading, we ate a little more, then waded in the lake for a bit to cool our feet. Later that night, we had homemade pizza for dinner; a nice summery artichoke, sundried tomato, and black olive pizza with five cheeses. Yummy!

Sunday was fencing practice, once again at Island Park in Ann Arbor. It was another beautiful day, but very hot, so we stuck to the shade for most of practice. Some of the other fighters brought food for snacking and cooking out, and some non-fighting SCAdians came out to work on projects and just hang out. That night Fritz and I grilled hamburgers for dinner, then went to see X-Men III. It was a good movie, definitely worth seeing. It wasn't quite as good as the first two movies, but it did the series justice.

Monday Fritz and I went for ice cream in Depot Town, then walked around Riverside Park for a while before stopping by his brother and sister-in-law's to drop off a present for his nephew. It was another beautiful day, but definitely the hottest of the weekend. We had a nice time on our walk, but were happy to return to the comfort of air conditioning afterwards. Fritz left early in the afternoon, and while I had planned to plant my flowers from the farmer's market in my flower bed after he left, I ended up parking my arse on the couch and watching a Deadliest Catch marathon on the Discovery Channel instead. By that time, I was exhausted from all the activity of the weekend, and couldn't get motivated to go back out in the heat. (I did get the planting done this week, though.)

It's interesting, this was my most active weekend in a while, but also my most relaxing. I'm realizing that it's easier for me to relax if I tire myself out with vigorous activity beforehand. Of course, the gorgeous scenery and great company didn't hurt either!